Great Pyrenees Puppies
The Great Pyrenees is one of the oldest livestock guardian dog breeds, and for hundreds of years they have been bred to think independently.
Their basic personality differs from other breeds, since most breeds were developed to take commands from people, while Pyrs were encouraged to work (and think) on their own. Their heritage as livestock guardians comes through in their personality in distinctive ways. Because of these traits, Great Pyrs and Paws Rescue has several guidelines that we follow when working with potential adoptive homes.
OUR REQUIREMENTS FOR PUPPY ADOPTION:
- PUPPIES WILL ONLY BE PLACED IN HOMES THAT HAVE AT LEAST ONE MEDIUM TO LARGE YOUTHFUL, PLAYFUL RESIDENT DOG that is age 1 or older. This helps integrate the dog into your household easier by giving the pup a mentor.
- These puppies are not livestock dogs. They must be family pets that are allowed inside the home.
- In addition to the youthful playful dog, someone must also be home at least part of the day. Please do not apply for a puppy if you are gone 8+ hours a day.
- We give preference to applicants with prior Great Pyrenees knowledge/experience.
- Secure and visible fencing required.
- You must have a plan in place to socialize your puppy properly.
- Please do NOT write us and ask if this puppy is available. If it is posted, it is available. However, we may be working other applications that came in before yours. If so, by the time you are approved, the puppy may not be available.